Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We've had a very eventful Feast Day thus far. Pearl and I headed to Mass first thing in the morning and with the weather forecasted to be a little rainy we decided to forego some park time and go straight home.



Once home, I had a great little kitchen helper while we made Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Of course my nemesis had to show up while mixing our batter. I don't know what it is but I ALWAYS blow up the butter. Seriously, every. stinking.time. I needed a whole stick (1/2 cup) but it was in the freezer. So I took a stick and put it in a bowl covered with a plate and nuked it on 30 power. I only put it in for a min. at a time, check it, then add another minute. But it wouldn't be baking for me if I didn't blow up butter. Finally had enough butter for the recipe and we continued. Pearl was a big fan of these cookies and liked the green gumdrops as well.

For lunch we used Catholic Cuisine as our model for Shamrock Toasties. Note for the future: purchase green peppers that have three nobs not four on the underside. Three nobs will make an authentic clover shape. Our pepper with four looked a little silly.



I had already decided on Guiness Beef Stew, but found Margaret's recipe for Colcannon so delectable that we added it as a side dish.



Dinner is never a complete meal without some form of bread for DH, so we went with
Shamrock Breadsticks a la Catholic Cuisine.



All three dishes were a huge hit all around. I've never seen Pearl eat so much meat or carrots in one sitting. DH had seconds and said it was his favorite Beef Stew I've made to date. Hurray!



I was quite pleased with how it all turned out, the opportunity to set out some spring-like dishes, and telling the story of St. Patrick to Pearl throughout the day.

Happy Feast Day!

2 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

I can't believe how long it's been since I visited your blog. Somehow I lost the link. Your little daughter is beautiful...what a cutie! Your blog is lovely. Hope all is well.
Happy Feast of St. Patrick.

antonia said...

that bread looks awesome!!